The holidays, for the most part, fill us with that warm and fuzzy feeling starting at Thanksgiving and ending around New Years. However, throughout this bright and cheery season we may also start feeling dull. Our routines have slipped, we consume endless amounts of junk, and completely disregard exercise. While lounging around in my Christmas jammies, sipping hella red wine, and baking (rather watching others bake in my case) is my favorite holiday activity, I usually get the Christmas slug going on since I have let myself go. I have come up with a list of detox remedies that I typically do on the reg that will get you over that holiday slump.
Now, there’s the usual dont’s such as no indulgences, no alcohol, going to bed early, blah blah blah. None of which are on my holiday to-do list. Everything on this list can be worked into your daily activities and not cause you to alienate your friends and family and leave you looking like a weirdo.
1. Hot Lemon Water. This is the best way to wake up your digestive system and get your body on the right track first thing in the morning. The acids in lemon juice also encourage your body to process the good stuff in food more slowly.
2. Coconut Oil. I use this every single day in several different ways. First, I put it in my coffee every morning. The fatty acids found in this oil are like no others. I’m not going to get all scientific here, but the short version of this is that the fatty acids in coconut oil compared to all other plant-based oils give you more energy due to the fact that the body only needs a 3-step process to convert them, whereas all others take 26-steps. Other benefits include weight loss, higher brain function, and skin health.
3. Green Tea. This should be drank after every big meal. The digestion benefits are phenomenal. There’s different ways to mix it up if you don’t like plain green tea. One way is to put a cinnamon stick, raw honey, and lemon juice into your tea. This is actually considered “Slim Tea”. Another option is to sub the cinnamon for ginger and you have an incredible skin clearing blend.
4. Epsom Salt Bath. If you want to indulge in any bathing therapy, soaking in epsom twice a week is IT. The magnesium and sulfur in Epsom absorbs through your skin causing your body to release toxins that we consume through bad diet and alcohol. It is also great for debloating (insert loud cheering here). Simply pour in a handful of epsom salt, lavender oil, and baking soda (optional) into a warm bath. Soak for 20 minutes while your body rebalances its ph levels.
5. Stretching/Yoga. Just 15-20 minutes of this a day can have a tremendous impact on your mood and energy levels. It’s low impact and leaves ya feelin good.
Hope you all have an amazing holiday season!
Thanks for visiting Momosas!